In order to fulfill its mission, the UNICOOPAGI has fixed the following objectives:
- To assist cooperatives in order to get legal personality.
- To assist cooperatives in administration and management.
- To support cooperative members to improve agricultural production.
- Help the cooperative members to look for market of their agricultural products.
- Help in education and continuous training of cooperative members.
- Provide all other information to increase cooperative members’ activities.
- Protect the interests of the cooperative members.
- Encourage and extend sensitization on cooperative society vision, mission, legal frame and any other related policies.
- Lead any activity to promote the cooperatives in the way which permits the UNICOOPAGI to fulfill its mission.
VISION OF UNICOOPAGI IN WHEAT | THE DOMAIN AREA OF UNICOOPAGI
Vision of Unicoopagi In Wheat Value Chain
- Increase of wheat production from 3.2t/Ha to 4t/Ha in next three years
- Increase of surface to cultivate for wheat
- Multiplication of improved seeds of wheat variety generating high and preferred production
- Availing post harvest equipment
- Helping farmers to access to the markets
- Putting effort in increasing the quality of wheat in order to encourage farmers to cultivate wheat professionally and farming for markets
- Training of farmers on updated technological post harvest systems
Some Challenges In Wheat Value Chain
- Cultivating on acidic soil
- Lack of sufficient organic inputs
- Lack of sufficient and updated post harvest materials and technologies
- Lack of sufficient improved seeds wheat variety which produce more and preferred production by Agro industries
- Fraud in selling of wheat on blackmarket
- High production cost
- Lack of sufficient transport infrastructure
- Agricultural Extension
- Cooperatives promotion
- Supply of agricultural fertilizers.
- Seeds multiplication
- Selling of agricultural products
- Promoting Men and Women’s Rights.
- Assistance and advocacy to farmers
- Gender and HIV/AIDS Mainstreaming
- Environment management and Climate Change
The UNICOOPAGI achieved to different activities like:
- Assistance to cooperatives to obtain legal personality. Currently 32 cooperatives already got registration certificate issued by RCA.
- Promotion of Wheat and Maize cultivation in Nyamagabe and Nyaruguru districts and Maize in Huye District in particular.
- Creation of a saving and Credit cooperative called COOPEC TWIZIGAMIRE which has more than 8000 members where many of them are farmers.
- Training cooperative members in savings and loans scheme.
- Training farmers in Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM) technology.
- Multiplication and selling of seeds.
- Supply of agricultural inputs like lime, mineral fertilizers, pesticides and the Vegetables seeds.
- Education of UNICOOPAGI’s members in the citizenship participation.
- Promoting and protection of rural vulnerable Women’s rights for access to land.
- Training of farmers in Agroforestry and Climate change Technologies.